Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pink Sharks and Hair Dryers

I asked Chiquita if she wanted to do a craft.  Not only did I get a resounding "YES!" but she already knew what she wanted to make.

Purple and pink sharks.

I don't know where she comes up with this stuff, but I'm game.  We started off painting an "ocean" for the purple shark.  Her painting skills and patience are coming along - she really covered a whole piece of paper in blue paint.

While she was painting I started cutting out pieces for the purple shark.  I did not have any idea of how to cut out a shark, so we're lucky it looked passable.

When she was done painting I realized neither of us wanted to wait for the paint to dry to glue on the shark.  So, I grabbed my hair dryer!  Chiquita has not previously been a fan of the hair dryer.  The loud noise and hot air usually sent her running, so I figured this would be a win-win, dry the paint and become friends with the hair dryer.  Success!  Chiquita even asked to hold it!  Soon our ocean was dry enough to glue on the shark and it's two googly eyes (Chiquita still doesn't understand why flat animals would only have one eye).

Next was the pink shark!  This time Chiquita wanted a pink ocean and I was smart enough to cut out a one piece shark.  We were both winding down on crafting and ready to move on so instead of drying the paint and gluing I just stuck the shark to the wet paint and put them both outside in the hot sun to dry.  As I had hoped the paint was just as effective as glue and our pink shark will not be swimming away any time soon.




2 comments:

  1. very cute! Nice idea for something to make with our Ocean theme this week! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how fun!! I may have to try the hair dryer trick as well. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete